McKennaii Magic mushrooms grow kit GetMagic
The GetMagic McKennaii kit contains 1200 ml of mycelium colonized substrate that is ready to grow your own McKennaii Magic mushrooms grow kit GetMagic. Includes grow bag and paperclips. Easy set up, mutliple flushes and a high yield!
Please feel free to read more about: storage, instructions, do’s and dont’s, picking and harvesting and soaking.
This will help you to grow successful and produce large yields of potent mushrooms.
What’s in the box?
We recommend using
- Surgical gloves
- Disinfectant for hands
- Disinfectant for surfaces
- Soaking Bag
- Thermo mat (when room temperature drops below 18°C)
How do I store the McKennaii Magic mushrooms grow kit GetMagic?
Do not store your grow kit longer than 2-3 weeks
We suggest that you begin growing your mushroom grow kit immediately away. If you wish to grow later, do not keep your grow kit for more than 2-3 weeks after it was manufactured.
Keep in a cool location.
Always keep the mushroom growing kit in the fridge (2°C to 4°C). The manufacture date and the two digits of the week number are printed on the cardboard box.
Keep contamination to a minimum.
Make sure your refrigerator is clean and clear of germs, yeasts, and other contaminants. To be safe, place the culture kit in a clean plastic bag and carefully seal it.
- 1Wash your hands thoroughly and clean the outside of the growkit with a dry cloth. Remove the lid and save it for step 2
- 2Fill the growkit to the edge with lukewarm water (20°C), put the lid back on the growkit and let it soak for 5 minutes.
Important: never soak the growkit for more than 1 hour!
- 3Remove the lid from the growkit and drain the water well. Let the growkit drain for 10 seconds.
- 4Place the growkit in the growbag and fill the growbag with a cup (200-250ml) of lukewarm water (20°C). Then fold the top of the bag and close it with 2 paperclips.
- 5Place the growkit in a place with 20-25°C average room temperature. Make sure that the growkit is not in direct sunlight, not under a lamp and not near a radiator/heat source.
Important: the bag must remain closed until the first pinheads form. Until then the CO2 content and humidity inside the bag should be as high as possible.
- 6When the first pinheads* are visible, let some fresh air into the growbag on a daily basis (for a few minutes) and then moisten the growkit with a misting bottle.
*Pinheads are the first visible forms of tiny mushroom caps. It can take 10 to 20 days for the first pinheads to be visible.
- 7The mushrooms can be harvested just before the membranes on the bottom of the cap open up. While harvesting gently grasp the stem and turn it left/right. When the mushroom becomes loose, pull it out as carefully as possible.
Important: the mushroom must be completely removed so that there is room for a new one.
- 8Congratulations, the harvest is complete. It is now possible to grow a new flush of mushrooms by repeating steps 1 to 7 again.
Read the following do’s and dont’s for a successful grow.
Despite the fact that mushroom grow kits are simple to use and relatively foolproof, we have summarized the most significant elements for you. Temperature, light, humidity, the first mushrooms, and the development cycle are only a few examples.
The optimal temperature for mushroom development is 24°C. The temperature should not go below 20°C and should not rise over 29°C. You may use a Thermo Heatingmat to prevent the temperature from going below 20°C. In the winter or colder places of the globe, a thermo mat is a must-have.
The mycelium in the magic mushroom kit simply requires light to ‘understand’ that it has reached the surface. Only then will mushrooms sprout. A few hours of fluorescent/artificial light or indirect sunshine each day is sufficient. Because direct sunlight destroys mycelium, keep the sun away from the grow kit.
Misting begins the day the first pins appear. Remove the paperclip from the grow bag to open it. Spray once against each edge of the bag rather than immediately on the cake.
So you mist four times a day. Misting also allows new oxygen to enter the bag. Close the bag with the paperclip immediately after misting.
FAE stands for frequent air exchange.
Keep the grow bag tight until the first pins appear; CO2 levels should be as high as possible to stimulate pinning. After the pinning step, you may open the bag 1-2 times each day to allow fresh air to enter. Open and seal the bag, pushing out the air and letting in some fresh air.
The very first shrooms!
If the growing circumstances are ideal, the first little mushrooms (the pins) should develop between 10 and 20 days. This is also determined by the strain. Some cubensis strains mature at a slower rate than others. It may take another week to attain maturity. A whole growth cycle might last up to 4-5 weeks.
The mushrooms appear in clusters. A flush is a kind of growth like this. A kit may provide more than one flush. The first two flushes are the most significant. More flushes will follow, each one smaller than the last.
Harvesting and picking
Pick mushrooms when the veil between the hat and the stem is going to or has just torn. If you wait much longer, the mushrooms will shed their spores. Pick just the ripe mushrooms and let the rest to develop. The alternative is to remove all of the mushrooms and begin a fresh flush.
How to pick your mushrooms:
- Use surgical gloves or disinfect your hands, wrists and arms.
- Remove the mushrooms from the cake by taking hold of the base of the mushroom between thumb and index finger.
- Rotating your hand clockwise slowly, until the mushroom lets go.
Do not pull out the mushrooms. This would risk damaging the mycelium and killing it. When most of the larger mushrooms have been picked, also pick the smaller ones and the pins as well.
Mushrooms that grow from the sides
Mushrooms grow where the light reaches and where there is little penetrating resistance. Because the cake has light shining on the sides, the mushrooms might also grow there. You have a few options:
- Darken the sides of the kit by putting it in the cardboard box.
- Spray the top soil a bit to stimulate more growth on the top
- Do nothing and let them grow
After all the mushrooms are harvested, you prepare the kit for the next flush. Disinfected your hands or use gloves; take the grow box out of the grow bag.
- Fill the container with lukewarm water (20°C)
- Take the lid use it to close the container.
- Let it soak for 5 – 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, and drain the water
- Place the growkit in the growbag and fill the growbag with a cup (200-250ml) of lukewarm water (20°C)
This is called the soaking process. Water will now soak through the cake, preparing it for the next flush.
During the soaking you can hang the grow bag with micronfilter upside down to dry. Many growers prefer to use new and unused grow bags after every flush.
To continue, follow the same steps 2 – 7 as before when you started the process for the first time. Several days later, a new flush will appear. You can get at least 2 flushes out of a grow kit. The first flush often is the biggest.
When no more mushrooms grow out of your grow kit after the second flush for at least 5-6 weeks, or when the grow kit turns green, red, grey or yellow; the grow kit can be disposed of.
The change in color is a sign that the grow kit is contaminated with another fungus or bacteria. No more mushrooms will grow out of the mushroom grow kit and the grow kit should be thrown away in the garbage outside or in your garden.
When you are too late picking the mushrooms, they will drop their spores. The cake and the mushrooms will turn black/purple (some other cubensis strains red/brown) because of the spores. This is not really a problem; it just doesn’t look very pretty.
When mushrooms release their spores, they also start to degrade, and the active ingredients are breaking down. Mushrooms will lose some of their potency.
McKennaii Strain information
Origin: Unknown, possibly USA
Cap: 20-50 mm, Brow to Red (yellow) brown when the mushroom matures,
Stem: 40 -125 mm, medium ot large in size, bruises green blue when touched
Spores: Dark purple brown, 11.5–17 x 8–11 µm, subellipsoid, basidia 4-spored
Substrate: PF Tek and BRF, Rye grain, Straw and Dung
About GetMagic Grow kits
GetMagic mushroom grow kits contain everything you need for growing magic mushrooms at home. It contains the grow bag, ready to grow mushroom substrate and clips to close the bag.
The GetMagic grow kits bring back the old school cool of layered magic mushroom grow kits. The 100% colonized mycelium has perlite underneath and a vermiculite layer on top. These layers ensure to keep the kit humid and makes it easy to keep the kit in optimal conditions.
To reach it’s full potential the GetMagic grow kit will need your help, love and good vibes. You add water and heat, and within 2-4 weeks you will be rewarded with a high yield of magic mushrooms.
This kit is meant for small-scale home use only. Do not use for human consumption. Use for spore reproduction and research only.
Check out the responsible use page for more information on do’s and don’ts.